Transparency and Layers

Transparency and layers were difficult to capture for this assignment, and I was less satisfied with my results for this project compared to previous ones. I ended up shooting photos around Wisconsin Avenue, near my apartment. Wisconsin Ave has a much more casual and old-school feel than College Ave, and it was fun to capture scenes that seemed frozen in time. The photos taken through the car and shop windows exemplify transparency more than anything else, while the photo taken through the fence brings layers into the equation with the signs suspended by the fence. Lupton and Phillips state that "transparency becomes an active design element when its value is somewhere between zero and 100 percent." (pg 155) I tried to examine how light and reflection played into the transparent surfaces, with mixed success. In the photo of the shop window, the window becomes a canvas for the drawn-on jelly bean designs and highlights with sunlight the wares on display. I was especially drawn to photographing this shop because of the decreasing occurence of window displays in stores today. On a less related note, I've also been experimenting with using color correction curves in my photo editing to give the photos more of a film look.

instagram profile link: bennetts_artjournal




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Point, Line, Plane

Colors of College Ave

Modularity and Pattern