Time and Motion

 This assignment brought me somewhat outside the objectives laid forth by Lupton and Phillips, although I did try to embody their idea that "it can be useful to think about the screen as an active, changing surface as well as a neutral stage or support." (233) As I drove the 8 hours round trip to pick up my brother from Macalester College in Saint Paul, MN, I shot some footage of the drive with the attempt of sharing the feeling of the slow passage of time along the journey. I used longer, static shots to highlight the landscape and turn the screen into the driver's perspective, rather than focusing on characters. I also made a soundtrack by playing a couple chords through a synthesizer in Logic that I felt gave the video a melancholy but peaceful feel. I used color correction in Final Cut to give the clips a blue-ish, darker tint as well. I would definitely liked to have made a longer video, and I plan on coming back to this idea over winter break.


instagram link: instagram.com/bennetts_artjournal




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Point, Line, Plane

Colors of College Ave

Modularity and Pattern