Framing

To me, framing in an image contextualizes the contents of the image and gives them new meaning. When I set out to complete this assignment, I tried to embody a quote from the Lupton-Philips text that reads, "the frame is subservient to the content it surrounds, disappearing as we focus on the image or object on view, and yet the frame shapes our understanding of that content." (p117) I originally planned on focusing on framing through buildings or windows, but as I started to cross the train tracks near my apartment, I noticed a train coming in the distance. When I stepped back to let the train pass, I realized that the trees on the side of the tracks formed an irregular and organic frame that contrasted with the rigid mechanical features of the train. Although the train was moving quickly, the strong sunlight enabled a quick shutter speed which makes the train look completely still. The trees give the image a more mysterious feel, and change the viewer's perception of an otherwise industrial scene. 

instagram link: bennetts_artjournal







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Point, Line, Plane

Colors of College Ave

Modularity and Pattern